Do you know writers experience a block from time to time, especially when they are working on a book project and they need to complete sections or chapters or advance a story line further?
Writers block is not respecter of age, race, religion or gender. It happens to every one. This article suggests creative ways to handle writers block.
Wikipedia defines writer’s block as a condition, primarily associated with writing, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work or experiences a creative slowdown. The condition ranges in difficulty from coming up with original ideas to being unable to produce a work for years.
Here are few ideas to help you work through your creative constipation:
- Go for a walk.
- Eliminate distractions of all kinds.
- Rest and get away from your work a little as this will allow a flow of fresh ideas.
- Have sex.
- Change your environment, travel to a new place and meet new people.
- Read a book that relates to what you are about to work on.
- Listen to music (try classical or jazz to mix it up).
- Create a routine. Many famous writers have daily routines to summon the Muse.
- Spend time with someone who makes you feel good.
- Call an old friend (This really works).
- Brainstorm ideas in bullet points.
- Read some inspiring quotes to get you started.
The possibilities are endless, but movement is critical. You need to generate momentum to get out of your funk.
Once you start heading in a direction, it’s easier to pick up speed. And before you know it, your block will be a distant memory and you’ll be doing what you once thought impossible.
Need extra motivation? Have you checked out Scriptophobia? It’s the best way to stop letting fear of writing control you and get that book done. My book ‘Scriptophobia’ is a self-help that teaches you how mental exorcism that can expel fears that writing may unleash. Click here to get a copy.
What scares you most about writing and/or the business side of writing? What are some steps you can take to overcome that fear? Let me know in the comment box below.